forum > Am I the only die hard Third Matinee fan??

Anybody else out there dig the Third Matinee record? The song "I Don't Care" grabbed my attention almost two decades ago, and i just decided to look up one if its creators.. and here i am. Did that group ever perform live?

August 25, 2011 | Registered CommenterChristopher Martin

Meanwhile by Third matinee ..... I think it's one of the best records ever made. Love somebody is my favorite track.

August 26, 2011 | Registered Commenterniwre

Hi Christopher!
You are not alone... i LOVE Richard's "Meanwhile" album. My favorite songs are "Family Tree" and "Silver Cage".

August 26, 2011 | Registered Commenterlizbeth romano

"Family Tree" is my favorite, too. I love the entire album, have had it for years and used to play it loud while driving between Tucson and L.A. To my knowledge, there was never a live concert by Third Matinee as it was kind of a one shot deal, though they continued to work together and maybe still do. Of course, anything Richard does is okay with me!

August 26, 2011 | Registered CommenterPaige Richards

I wasn't aware of the existence of "Meanwhile" until I attended a Kenny Loggins concert in August 2008. A few months prior to the Loggins concert I had been wondering what Richard Page had been doing since Mister had disbanded. I'd googled him on the internet, but only found old info pertaining to Pages and Mr Mister. Looked as tho he had dropped off the face of the earth! After the Loggins concert was over I had aconversation with Loggins' lead guitarist that night, a guy by the name of Steve Bernard (who turned out to be very friendly as well as talented). I asked him if he knew what Richard Page was doing these days, and he didn't know. But he started talking about Richard and how incredible "Meanwhile" was, and that I absolutely HAD to get it. He went on and on, and praised it so highly that I got the CD. Steve was correct. Great stuff. Very unfortunate that the recording didn't get the exposure it so richly deserves. But the folks out there that have heard it--well, it's impossiible not to love it!! Hopefully Richard will continue to release more CD's and do live performances. The music world has missed his voice and presence on the stage.

August 27, 2011 | Registered Commentermarsha berndt

Great album and I suggest you get anything with the late Kevin Gilbert. A similar album is the Toy Matinee s/t. Nothing related to Richard Page as such but very similar in style...just brilliant stuff :)

If you have spotify: spotify:album:2ocngKAIWALXzsaeT2i4Av

August 31, 2011 | Registered CommenterKristian

I love THIRD MATINEE album!!!!!!
Especially 'Echo Hill' is the best song he'd ever written.

September 1, 2011 | Registered CommenterKazzy

"Meanwhile" is indeed a great album. I think they only did a couple of radio station live appearences
If you want some more info about 3rd Matinee please check my Mr. Mister website. Click on "3rd Matinee" in the "History" section. I'm not pretending everything is 100% accurate but my info always came from various sources.
http://users.skynet.be/sky67891/history.htm

September 7, 2011 | Registered CommenterPeter Dehenau

I love Third Matinee too. I remember buying it back in 1994 when it came out. Great album. Unique production. Cool artwork by Mark Ryden.
By the way, the Toy Matinee album (with Kevin Gilbert) is really good too.

September 10, 2011 | Registered CommenterMark Wisniewski

Hi. I'm a bit late on this thread. I'm gonna say that you are probably not. I was a huge fan of Kevin Gilbert's Toy Matinee and was thrilled to see the follow up when it was released. Although this is a very different sounding record than Toy Matinee, it is still one of the best sounding recordings I have ever heard. Richard's voice is top notch. My favorite song is All The Way Home.

September 30, 2012 | Registered CommenterIan Markley

I'll be honest, I've never even heard 3rd Matinee. However I have managed to score a copy on ebay, so when it arrives I'll be sure to put a more exciting response than this and what I think of the peices. Hey it's got Richard Page so it's gotta be great. :)

The main issue is that sadly great music like Richards just doesn't see the light of day here in Australia. Most of the time, you'll hear a few tracks from 'Welcome To The Real world' but that's where it seems to end. Having just obtained all of the new material Richard has released I've got to say we SERIOUSLY miss out. He's one of the best singer/song writers out there.

I'd love to see an album featuring Richard Page and Martin Briley as he's a touch like Richard in that they both write terrific songs for others and movies etc and the songs do incredibly well but seriously don't get the recognition they deserve.

Another thing, for the record Richard, I prefer your version of 'I'll Remember' far more than Madonna's and that's just your solo acoustic version. I'd love to hear your full band version.

February 14, 2013 | Registered CommenterSean Curtin

Finally 3rd Matinee arrived in the mail.

Well I'll be honest, my first impressions are not that excited by this album. I don't like the drummer and percussionist on the album, it kind of drowns out the vocals at times. In fact the entire album had poor mixing in my personal opinion and doesn't do much to bring out the goodness of the recording.

I enjoyed Richards vocals, but at times the choice of backing instruments and devices was kind of jarring.

Overall it's an ok album and several of the songs are rather good but to behonest I prefer richards later albums and tracks before and after this album featured on the new 'Songs From the Sketchbook' album.

To conclude I think that if the entire band was Mr Mister, this would have been a much better album. To me, Richard's vocals are terrific as always, along with his contributions to the songs but there's too much of Patrick Leonard(who I am not a fan of) in this album and not enough Richard Page for my liking. It just failed to grab me in the way that Mr Mister and Richards solo albums do.

I'll pull it out every now and then and maybe it will grow on me, it's there in the collection but I'd recommend it to purists only.

February 24, 2013 | Registered CommenterSean Curtin

This is one of my very favourite albums ever - each track has a unique and beautiful flavour all of its own, but I especially love She Dreams.

August 28, 2014 | Registered CommenterJulian Self

3rd Matinee is an epic album, so beloved. "Family Tree" is my favorite track. I heard it live on KBCO Studio C while driving one day and just about had a car accident. Moved to tears. I knew instantly who was singing. Amazing album.

November 8, 2014 | Registered CommenterTaylor Mesple