forum > Original Mr Mister Australian Tour

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone might be able to answer two questions that have bugged me for a very long time. What was the date that Mr Mister toured Australia with the Welcome To The Real World Album? Second who was the supporting band, from memory it was another American band.

I loved the concert and remember as a young guy it was my first date, and made out with my girl close to the front stage while they were performing. Amazing concert and an amazing night.

August 4, 2016 | Registered CommenterDavid Brown

This post is ~15 months old, so I hope you're still out there. Did much "Googling" for you and found Mr Mister live on the Countdown awards 4th Sept 2016 singing Kyrie. One could conclude that they were on tour here in Auz then.
Like other worthwhile enterprises, Countdown was also shut down in the late 80s. Beuarocrats! Kind regards.

October 13, 2017 | Registered CommenterDesert Pea

Actually, when I think about it, on Youtube, there are 2 videos of Mr Mister performing Kyrie on the Countdown Awards 4th Sept 1986. One is a lip-synched version of Kyrie and the other is a real live act. In the latter, Richard's voice is getting hoarse, like at the end of a long concert tour. I would surmise, therefore, that the Auz tour was in August 1986. Hope this is helpful.

October 13, 2017 | Registered CommenterDesert Pea

Hi, all,

This is my first post to the forum.

I've been doing a bit of research, on and off, over the years to compile an accurate, and mostly complete, listing of Mr. Mister shows.

From what I've been able to glean, the band toured with Tina Turner between Oct and early Dec 1985, before playing on Saturday Night Live on Dec 07 and then a handful of shows with Heart prior to New Year's Eve.

They played a few random shows, including the Daytona Beach concert on Mar 25, 1986, before embarking on a tour of Canada and Australia in March and April.

That said, the only Australian show I was able to find was the concert at the Melbourne Concert Hall on Apr 21, 1986, as advertised in the Apr 18, 1986, issue of the Melbourne Age newspaper.

I would imagine any show you saw would have been around that time, or on that very date, if you happened to see them in Melbourne.

Which brings up the question: in what city and at what venue did you see the band in Australia back in '86?

October 18, 2017 | Registered CommenterBert Gangl

Hi Bert.

It was Melbourne, it certainly was not Tina Turner. It was if my memory serves me correct an American band with a male singer. I believe they played at the Entertainment Centre.

October 19, 2017 | Registered CommenterDavid Brown

Hi, Dave,

Given that you saw the show in Melbourne, I'd say you caught the Apr 21, 1986, show at the Melbourne Concert Hall.

The news archive I use doesn't provide Melbourne Age issues for the remainder of the month, Apr 19-30, so I can't say for sure that the show took place at the concert hall. It may have been moved to the Entertainment Centre due to brisk ticket sales.

Also, and unfortunately, the advert in the Apr 18 Age doesn't list a warm-up act, which is too bad.

All that said and done, though, I think we can pretty safely say that you saw the band on the date above.

Hope this helps!

October 19, 2017 | Registered CommenterBert Gangl